A fun way to practice spelling words is using pegs and a pegboard. The pegs can be used for many rainy day activities as well as spelling. Not only is it a great way for your child to practice his spelling words but also it is great for hand-eye coordination and fine motor development.
Pegs and Grid Lesson
|pegs and grid|
|spelling words group A|
- Place a group A card directly in front of the grid.
- Using the card as a guide, have your son form the letters of the word, placing one peg at a time on the grid.
- Have him say each letter as he is placing the pegs.
Some pegs can be ironed and fused together if he wants to keep the word (like his name or a particularly difficult word that he is proud that he mastered).
- Repeat the activity using a different color peg for each letter,
- Or using one color peg for the vowels and another for the consonants,
- Or let your child choose a pattern and repeat the activity in that pattern,
- Or do it with all the colors mixed up.